THE BOUNDARY TRAIL HERITAGE REGION
Follow This Sign Along the Manitoba U.S. Border on #3 Highway
The towns, some have links to their sites, can be found below this map. This gives you a perfect opportunity to plan your own trip by opening the town sites and seeing what else they have to offer to help make your vacation memorable. If you need more help, you will find the phone numbers to each town office at the start of their brief description of what they have to offer.
Darlingford R. M. of Pembina (204) 242-2838
Civic pride is so great in this quiet, little hamlet that even the yards around vacant houses are mowed. Memorial Park, a provincial heritage site, was dedicated to the men of the area who died in World War I and World War II. Guns and other items from the collections of local veterans are displayed in a small brick chapel in this park.
The large granite boulder in La Verendrye Park at the junction of highways #3 and #31 forms a cairn marking the overland route taken by the French explorer La Verendrye and his party in search for the “Great Western Sea”. The trail was used by the fur traders and settlers who followed them. Picnic and camping facilities are maintained by the province.
The restaurant and service station in Darlingford make it a good rest stop for the weary traveler. Shopping, recreation facilities, arts and crafts and other attractions are also available in Darlingford.
Take a short side trip southwest to see the stone pioneer church at Kaleida.
Manitou – Village Office (204) 242-2515
Manitou, originally named “Manitoba City” before it was reached by railway in 1881, has the distinction of being the home of famed temperance leader and advocate of women’s rights, Nellie McClung. Mrs. McClung led the women of Manitoba in their successful fight for the right to vote, setting the pace for other provinces in Canada.
Although the economy is based around agriculture, wooded ravines in the vicinity provide natural habitats for a variety of birds and mammals.
The Town Hall, former Opera House, is well known for its acoustics. It is the home of the Borderline Singers and the group Wing and a Prayer.
The first school in the area, the Pembina Crossing School, has been moved to Manitou Centennial Park for preservation. The park is equipped with modern facilities and serviced camping sites. A playground, wading pool, and heated swimming pool are also available in the park for all to enjoy. For the sports enthusiast a tennis court, curling rink, and skating arena are available.
Manitou has a wide range of shopping facilities including a drug store, grocery, clothing and hardware stores.
Snowflake R. M. of Pembina (204) 242-2838
Star Mound, just west of Snowflake, has a park which marks an Indian burial ground. A rural school has been relocated there containing a collection of text books, records, artifacts and items from pioneer homes. This site was also a stop for the N. W. M. P. in 1874. The mound is a favorite spot to view crocuses in early spring.
Star Mound Museum – Located atop the Star Mound 3.2 km. west of Snowflake on Hwy. #242. This museum, commanding a panoramic view of the prairie, is located in a small park preserving an ancient Indian burial mound. A local one – room country school has been relocated there to house a collection of pioneer school artifacts and other items used in pioneer homes. The mound is locally famous as the site of spectacular displays of prairie crocuses each spring.
Pembina Crossing R. M. of Pembina (204) 242-2838
Pembina Crossing is located at the junction of Hwy. #423 and the Pembina River. While at Pembina Crossing, one must visit the Pembina Crossing Vacation Farm, The Pembina Crossing Vacation Farm has various trail rides, farm vacations with Bed & Breakfast and a variety of winter sports. Enjoy the splendor of the Pembina Valley at its best. For more information call (204) 242-2059.
The Pembina Crossing Church is a pioneer Anglican Church that is open to the public. The cemetery houses graves of early pioneers and is a wonderful spot for the history buff.
Shopping, recreation facilities, restaurant, arts and crafts and other attractions are also available at Pembina Crossing.
La Riviere R. M. of Louise (204) 873-2591
La Riviere is a picturesque town best known for its winter activities. The steep – wooded slopes of the Pembina Valley make ” Holiday Mountain” ideal skiing country. Holiday Mountain is one of the most popular winter resorts in the province. It has ten slopes, a chair lift, two T-bars, rope tows and snow-making facilities. The Chalet has a licensed restaurant, a cocktail bar with a fireplace, a snack bar and 26 motel units.
La Riviere has ample shops and restaurants, recreational facilities, cross-country ski trails, ski resort, arts and crafts and many other attractions like a new 9 hole golf course.
Mary Jane Lake is situated adjacent to the Archibald Historical Museum, just a few minutes east of the village of Manitou.
Pilot Mound Village Office (204) 825-2587
Ballentine’s March attracts huge numbers of water birds each year along with a great many other species. On spring and fall migration thousands of snow geese feed in the Pilot Mound area.
While in Pilot Mound, one must visit the Pilot Mound Centennial Museum, which includes the names of nearby Indian Burial Grounds. The museum is open year round on Thursdays and Saturdays from 1:30 to 5:00 P. M. For more details call (204)825-2035
Don’t forget Tivoli Community Theater & the Certified English and Western Riding instruction at Copperfield Farm Stables (indoor arena). Pilot Mound has a fully serviced campground with ice & regular fishing, boating, swimming and waterskiing at nearby Rock Lake. There is trap shooting at Rock Lake Gun Club, waterfowl and game hunting for the sports-minded enthusiast. Pilot Mound also has groomed snowmobile trails for the serious outdoorsman and a large selection of snowmobiles are available at B & D Mound Services Ltd.
Pilot Mound has ample shops and restaurants, recreational facilities such as curling and skating rink, paved tennis courts, Town & country Golf Course, 5-pin bowling, arts and crafts and many other attractions.
Pioneer Memorial Cairn was dedicated to the first settlers who came to the area in 1878. It is located about 3.2 km north of town.
The community of Pilot Mound was named for “Buffalo Hunter’s Place”, a spot that can be seen from 30 kms away. It was a beacon for the explorers and the settlers and a signal ill for the Indians.
Crystal City Village Office (204)873-2591
The town of Crystal City was founded when Mr. Thomas Greenway, former member of the House of Commons for South Huron, Ontario, moved to Manitoba and filed for the quarter section of land on which the Boundary Commission Trail forded Crystal Creek.
A unique attraction in Crystal City is the early 20th century printing museum. This small town press is in perfect working order and housed in the original building located on Broadway Street. Crystal City has food stores, pharmacy, curling and skating rink, dentist, hardware store, craft store, framing shop, police station, gas stations, post office and a park with full trailer hookups.
Crystal City Community Museum – Located in Crystal City on 218 Broadway St. Western Canada has only two pioneer printing museums operating as viable businesses. One of these is located in Crystal City. Established as the first newspaper in pioneer, Thomas Greenway, later premier of Manitoba, this working museum still uses original equipment and machinery from the 1880’s and 1890’s housed in the original building.
Clearwater R. M. of Louise (204)873-2591
The name Clearwater comes from a translation of an earlier Native name. Presently Clearwater is the only village located on its original site along the Boundary Commission Trail.
If going through Clearwater be sure to view the Anglican Church which was built in 1889, and is still in use today. The water tower formerly used for CPR train steam engines in bow used for the town’s water storage.
The beautiful countryside has White tailed Deer in abundance.
Mather R. M. of Roblin (204)529-2363
Mather celebrated it’s 100th anniversary in 1997 with well over a thousand people turning out for the event. Although it is just a small hamlet, hundreds of former citizens from Mather returned to their home town to remember their roots.
A cook book was put together by the citizens and if you would like to get the recipes of some real home cooking be sure to stop a Mather and find a copy.
Cartwright Village Office (204)529-2363
Cartwright’s origins date back to a “stopping place” of the N.W.M.P. As they traversed the Boundary Commission Trail, they crossed Badger Creek. The CPR was built 3.2 kms south of the original town site, with the result that the town was moved to the present site. The site of Old Cartwright is remembered by a cairn dedicated to the Boundary Commission Trail.
In the Cartwright area a visitor can view “Clay Banks”, which was formerly referred to as the “Buffalo Jump”. In years past Natives stampeded buffalo off the cliffs, which reach 60 meters in elevation.
The blacksmith shop, a heritage site, was rebuilt in 1990 to its original form and is fully operational today. It is located on North Railway Street.
The Anglican Church, located on Curwen and Broadway, is an excellent example of stone masonry. The church was constructed in 1898 and reconstructed in 1910 due to fire, however the original stone walls remain. The brick United Church is also a treasured remnant from the past, being built in 1899.
Centennial Park got its beginnings in 1967 as a project for Canada’s Centennial. The park has facilities for picnicking and camping plus a play structure and a museum of local artifacts.
Badger Creek/Kinsmen Park, just north of Cartwright, also has facilities for picnicking and camping as well as swimming in the creek.
Cartwright Blacksmith Shop – In spite of being one of the smallest incorporated villages of the Heritage Region, Cartwright has two museums. The Blacksmith Shop located on North Railway Street is an exact replica of the original constructed in 1888 on the same site. It is completely operational and local residents are delighted to give blacksmithing demonstrations with the original equipment.
Badger Creek Museum – Located in the Centennial Park at Cartwright. Anew building displays local area artifacts, as well as agricultural implements and pioneer furnishings. The Mount Prospect School, now moved to the park, represents all the one room, rural schools of the area. A shoe repair shop has also been added while the former MTS building, also at the park, will house telephone related artifacts.
Holmfield R. M. of Turtle Mountain (204) 523-7247
Holmfield boasts of being the home of the oldest flour mill in Western Canada, the Harrison Milling and Grain Company. Originating in 1878, the milling company is the oldest independent milling company in the country. This mill is one of the last 33 remaining of the original 1,100 mills in Canada.
Killarney Town Office (204)523-7247
Welcome to “Leprechaun Country”. A green fire engine, a blarney stone, and a leprechaun sitting on a turtle proclaim Killarney’s Irish connections. Like most small towns in southern Manitoba, Killarney prospers as a agri-business center, even though the town is located on a lake with sandy beaches.
Although Killarney is supported through the agricultural sector, the focus for many of the town’s activities revolve around Killarney Lake. Killarney attracts hundreds of people to its campgrounds and cottages each year.
Erin Park is located on the east shore of Killarney Lake nestled in shady Oaks with lots of playground equipment for children. The beach has lifeguards, modern change houses and showers. Canoes, sailboats, kayaks and other water equipment are for rent at the beach.
A hew tourist attraction located at the north end of the lake is Kerry Park. Kerry Park provides boat launching and docking facilities, a 62 site serviced campground with showers, washrooms and a beach.
Killarney Lake has been known for good fishing. The town of Killarney has a variety of excellent recreational facilities including an 18 hole golf course, and arena with artificial ice, curling rink, soccer fields, ball diamonds, harness racing track, tennis courts and of course beach recreation.
If traveling in the surrounding area, a visitor to the Killarney area may want to visit a nearby farm where the ruts of the trail, used by the International Boundary Commission in 1872-73, are still visible today.
J. A. V. David Municipal Museum – Located in Killarney at Hwy. 414 Williams Ave. This museum contains original survey maps, detailed maps of local cemeteries, Native and pioneer artifacts, war relics, photographs, cameras, maps, trophies, textiles art, archives and a restored historic post office.